Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Caves of Vallorbe

On Monday we headed to the caves of Vallorbe about an hour away.  We went with Rachel and her girls and it was my turn to drive.  We had lunch at our place and headed out to go exploring.  They were discovered in 1961 and were hollowed out by the Orbe river for centuries.  We saw all different kinds of limestone as well stalactites and even one that looked like a hairy bison.  It was absolutely amazing.  In sections were the water was calm it was hard to tell it was even there because it was so clear.

Beautiful walk up to the cave.
Kids at the entrance - Macy, Aaron, Sydney, Payton, and Hailey
Inside the cave - looking down into a water hole.
Inside looking at stalagtites (points hanging from top) and a couple stalagmites. (bottom points).
Another picture of a stalagtite formation.
Huge stalagtites.  The skinny one in the middle was called the "broken straw".
Picture with the water rushing through.
Picture on the bridge outside the cave.
One last picture before heading home.
We have been home for the last two days since Aaron has been running a fever.  That has given me time to get packed since we are heading to Paris tomorrow until Sunday.  We will stop to see some of the sites in Paris but will be spending most of this trip at Disney Paris.  We figure we will go back another time and focus on Paris and make sure we plan far enough in advance so we can buy tickets to go up the Eiffel tower.

Today we had someone come to install a wall in the bathroom upstairs so we can use it as a shower too.  Here we go again, he doesn't know English and my French is not there yet.  Although, in 2 weeks I will be in French immersion from 9:30-3:30 M-F while the kids are in school.  We can all do homework together!!  Renting over here is very different than in the states.  I was basically picking out what I wanted to install as well as what kind of materials such as glass or plastic, whereas in the states we had to live with what was installed.  It was a little weird to be deciding what to get knowing there is a cost that I will not be paying.  I called Rachel a couple times to translate since I couldn't understand anything.  I also used Google translate and managed to get through, but at the end he was telling me something and had not clue.  He said something about 3 and I was thinking 3 weeks, but then someone was thinking what if that means 3:00.  Well, it is a little past 3 and he isn't here so I am going with 3 weeks and we will see what ends up getting installed.

This will be my last post for this week.  We board the train at 9am tomorrow and don't get back until late Sunday.  Will post again sometime next week, which is our last full week of summer!!






No comments:

Post a Comment