The first week back at school was going to be a bit stressful with Hailey's surgery, but Sydney decided to add to it herself. Randy was in the UK for the week, so I was on my own when Sydney's coach called to say she fell again and most likely needs stitches, again. There was no way I was taking the other kids to the Children's hospital for Sydney to get stitches. Fortunately, I was able to find someone who was kind enough to come watch the other two and get them to bed while I took Sydney to Children's hospital. Randy took her the first time she needed stitches and I was able to experience myself how efficient the process was. It was even easier this time round since Sydney knows French and could converse and translate for me if need be!
 |
| First snowfall of the season! |
 |
| Carriage ride after touring Neuschwanstein Castle. |
Two days later we were back at the Children's Hospital for Hailey's surgery for a second pair of ear tubes. Here first set was removed before we left for Switzerland and discovered she still had fluid behind her eardrums and hearing lost when we were at the Dr's office. He referred us to an ENT and he recommended tubes to improve her hearing and prevent ear infections due to the fluid. They also removed her adenoids to help her ears drain properly. I did my best at using French but there was an issue so in came a nurse that could help translate for reception. Apparently we were suppose to get a pre-authorization form for our insurance. Or I received it and had not idea what it was : ) After that was resolved we were upstairs getting Hailey settled into her bed. They wheeled her back and one of us was able to go into the operating room until she was asleep. Hailey picked Randy to go in with her and joined me after 5 minutes. While we waited for the procedure to be done we talked about how much we would like to be in and English speaking hospital or be fluent in French. It is not easy when your child needs surgery, even if it is minor, to not be able to effectively communicate any questions or concerns.
 |
| Hailey at Legoland. |
We were allowed to go into the recovery room as soon as they brought her in, which is another difference from the US. The procedures the kids had in the US we were not allowed in the operating or recovery room. I should also mention we did not see a single Dr to explain or verify the procedure before the surgery. We were there as she started to wake up and were able to calm her when she woke up and complained of her head hurting. They were able to give her some relief and she quickly went back to sleep. We finally got her to wake up enough where she ate a little something and were ready to be discharged. The nurse was giving us final instructions and a note stating she couldn't go back for 2 weeks. Wait a minute, the Dr said 1 week and the nurse said it was because of her tonsils. Mind you this is all in French! I told her she didn't have her tonsils out and she looked at the paperwork and said she did. What, wait a minute, if she really had them out, 1. she wasn't suppose to, 2. she hasn't complained about her throat and Hailey would if she did in fact have them out and 3. you gave her a biscuit for a snack. After looking into it further she confirmed she did not have her tonsils out so only needs to be out of school for 1 week.
 |
| Kids at a park in Munich. |
We finally got her home and was quickly on her road to recover. I ended up making a quick trip back to the US for a week to attend my Grandfathers funeral. It was nice to get back and see family even if it wasn't under good circumstances. I got my shopping fix, including a trip to Target, which may be my last until we move back. Randy and I decided we won't be back in the US until we move back so we can take full advantage of our time here.
Sydney had her first competition the first weekend in December. She didn't have her best skate, but had fun none the less. After that competition it was decided we would change her music and program. Part of her score is music interpretation and she wasn't real excited about her music so didn't score the best and ended up placing 11th out of 17. Even if it wasn't her best, I have included her program since there are good and bad days in life!
No comments:
Post a Comment