Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Our House

We are finally settled to the point of posting some pictures of our apartment, which is in an old house that has been split into 2 apartments.  There is a Swiss family that lives on the bottom 2 floors and we live on the top 2.  We actually have a nice sized laundry room when you walk into our front entry door.  From there you walk up some marble stairs to the door into our apartment.  There are hard floors throughout, no carpet to be found unless you purchase rugs.  Things are built for the long term so wood, tile, and granite are found throughout the house and walls are good 'ole concrete.  Good thing about hard floors is you don't have to worry about stains, but you also see all the dust bunnies which drive me nuts so I end up vacuuming every 3-4 days.  So I wonder how nasty my carpet was since it was only vacuumed every 2 weeks.  I don't know if I really want to know ; )   Oh yeah and there are no light fixtures yet since we haven't purchased them.  Fixtures typically do not come with the apartment, the renter needs to purchase after they move in or from the previous tenant.  Please excuse the light bulbs hanging from wires.
Inside entry door upstairs from laundry room.  Dining and family through doorway and Aaron's room to far right.
Same spot scanning to right with stairs and hallway behind the stairs.  
Still at entry door looking to left at kitchen door and into our bedroom.
At doorway looking into kitchen.
Different angle of kitchen.
Terrace off kitchen with our table and chairs, which we have used more since moving here than back in IA!
Here is a picture from the kitchen terrace where on a clear day you can see the top of Mont Blanc in France.  Sadly, Randy and I were talking about that snow peak and it wasn't until later I realized what it was.  I won't speak for Randy since he can't defend himself : )  I guess I need to study Europe geography.
Our bedroom with two doors on each side of dark wardrobe (Niki's piece of work) going onto another terrace.
If our bedroom shutters are left open, this is my view when I wake up in the morning.  Most homes have blinds or shutters on the outside to keep the sun out or noise down at night.
Aaron's room.
Aaron's room with another IKEA wardrobe, courtesy of Niki.
To right of Aaron's room.  Extra storage or pantry in our case.
Hallway next to stairs with the best iron ever and extra fridge and freezer.
Dining room with doorway into our bedroom and out to the terrace.
Standing in doorway with dining room behind me looking into family room.
Another view of family room.  Yes, the kids are at the computer enjoying some US TV.
Another view of family room and terrace that runs along dining room and our bedroom.
At top of stairs with guinea pig cage, Hailey's room to left, Sydney's to the right, and their bathroom to the right of Sydney's room.
Hailey's room
Hailey's room with another IKEA wardrobe, this is the only one I put together.
Another view of Hailey's room with sink and bonus "art studio" beyond open door.
Hailey's bonus room or "art studio".  Looks more like a toy room to me, but girls insist on "art studio".
Storage to left of Hailey's door.  This replaces my unfinished basement back in IA, good thing I did a lot of purging!!  I have only hit my head a couple of times so far.
Sydney's room with the best view and will also be the guest room.
Another view with her own private terrace through door on right.  Chilled wine served to visitors during happy hour out on the terrace!!!  Anyone convinced to come visit yet???
Another picture from her terrace door.
Girl's (or guest) bathroom with a beautiful view of lake and mountains while enjoying a private shower.   Owner will be hanging something to keep shower water in, which saves us from having to pay.  How am I doing on my marketing campaign for Rude Hotel?
Randy did an awesome job and with every place there are trade offs.  We could have waited to see if we could find something in Lutry or Pully which would give you spectacular views of the lake and mountains, but odds are it would be quite small and most likely require us to have a second car.  I think our place is perfect.  We have a great view, on the bus line, and has some character.  Randy and I always thought it would be neat to live in the city, so here we go!





No comments:

Post a Comment